Thursday, October 20, 2005

Things That Make You Go "Hmmm?"

I keep finding all these news bites about animal rights in the paper lately. Whether it's about the pets that were rescued during Hurricane Katrina, or the latest fur coat to be forcibly painted red after a fashion show, it seems like it's a pretty prevalent concern in society. I know this is starting to sound like the opening paragraph to a research paper or whatever, but hear me out for a second.

Animals are supposed to be cuddly and cute, not used and abused for gain. I think people would agree with that, on the whole. That universal understanding strikes a certain chord with me and the flock.

We are 98% human, 2% avian. Some bird's DNA was messed around with to create us and, undoubtedly, went through some awful stuff to make that happen. What the heck happened to the poor birds those sicko whitecoats experimented on? I don't think I want to know.

Getting to the point...

Why are minx raised, according to people in the fur business? To make a coat or some mothball-smelling scarf for some old lady to tote around Ritzy Urban Street, USA. And, for WHAT? ...To make a profit. They make money off it.

What was the motivation for making us? It certaintly couldn't be idle curiosity or boredom. Financial gain? If that's the case, I don't know who's getting any of that money! I'm the kid using a computer in a public library, eating dirty water dogs from street vendors, living in odd places throughout New York City. The day I have a house worthy of being featured on MTV Cribs, you'll know it! Until then, I'm doing a lot of head-scratching, cause none of this stuff makes sense to me.


-Max